20lbs Pale 2 row malt
2lbs Cara Pils / Dextrine malt
2lbs White Wheat malt
1lb Caramel 20L malt
1oz each Columbus & Galaxy hops @ 30mins
1oz each Columbus & Galaxy hops @ 10mins
3oz each Columbus & Galaxy dry hopped @ 2 days into fermentation
3oz each Columbus & Galaxy dry hopped @ secondary (I do not switch tanks as I use SS Unitanks)
3 packs of Juice Imperial Yeast (6 billion cells).
My tap water is calcium=5.57ppm, magnesium=1.05ppm, sodium=38ppm, chloride=39.3ppm and sulfate=6.7ppm.
I added 3g gypsum, 7g calcium chloride and 8g epsom salt.
Brewing water (mash tun) calcium=77ppm, magnesium=22ppm, sodium=38ppm, chloride=132ppm and sulfate=139ppm.
My Road to Columbus was a big hit so I decided to brew it again. That said I decided I would rename it and focus the new name on the Galaxy hops versus the Columbus hops.
Brew day went ok for the most part. I had a few startup issues with my controller as I could not get my laptop to connect to it. As it turns out the Raspberry PI does not support the WPA protocol I was using. My big issue was related to the Raspberry Saison, which I kegged while brewing. The Raspberries didi not all fall out of suspension and hence some were flowing into the kegs and some berry parts plugged the valve in the exit post slightly open, which I did not notice. After kegging the beer and putting the kegs in the walk-in I later notice beer flowing out of the walk-in. When I opened the door beer was spraying out of the post and there was about 2 gallons on the floor, which made for a massive cleanup exercise. Not to self on adding fruit, maybe I need to find a way to filter out the bits…
The recipe called for getting 6.8%ABV but we didn’t actually get there. We ended up hitting 6.6%ABV.
Wanted to brew a full 10 gallon batch but had to cut back a bit due to Strange Brew being low on hops – I should get about 8-9 gallons out of fermenter.
18lbs 2.8ozs Pilsner 2 Row
1lb 1.4ozs Vienna Malt
1lb 1.4ozs Wheat Malt
7.3ozs Munich Malt
4.5oz 2.8% Styrian Goldings hops @ 45mins
1oz 4.8% East Kent Goldings hops @ 15mins
3 pints (1.25lbs) Raspberries mashed and added to fermenter with wort
4 pints added when I hit FG (the taste was to light so I decided to add more)
Mash temp 150F
Sparge temp 170F
The Beet Saison I did got me thinking about other variations and something more summerish.
My original plan was to add some black pepper or red pepper to give create a bit of bite / spice, but on brew day I decided to not go for the pepper (Chase talked me out of it). When I hit FG the raspberry taste was too light and I would say overall a bit too earthy, so I added another 4 pints for a few days before crashing.
I started with my first brew ever which is a Blonde Ale from The Electric Brewery that I call Sweet Lilly and added spruce tips to it. Sweet Lilly is really a simple beer, light in color and flavour. I plan to do a number of brews with this as the base and add things such as berries. When I brewed Sweet Lilly I was able to get the German 2-row but this time Strange Brew was out so I ended up going with American 2-row.
22lbs Pilsner 2-row (German) – had to use American as there was no German
90 min mash @ 149 & 168 mash out and sparge
3ozs Hallertau @ 45mins (German)
4pkgs Safale US-05
7.5ozs Blue Spruce Tips @ 45mins
I was sitting in the family room thinking about things I could brew with and just out side the door we have a few spruce trees and I thought why not try the new growth… A quick Google and I discovered this is not a new idea. People have been brewing with spruce tips for hundreds of years and you can even buy spruce extract – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_beer.
Water adjustment – 3g gypsum, 3g calcium chloride and 4g magnesium sulfate. To bring the PH in range I added 2ml of lactic acid to the mash and 3ml to the sparge water.
http://maltwaterbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/IMG_2883.jpg30244032brewmasterhttp://maltwaterbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Malt-Water-300x50.pngbrewmaster2018-05-28 07:02:212018-07-22 12:26:23Spruce Juice | Blonde Ale 4.2%
Second time brewing this as I planned to enter it into the national home brew competition. I did not have much time to get everything done, especially the aging, and I had to brew a double batch to fill a 25 gallon barrel. I purchased a barrel from Nick and because I was short on time we simple added a few bottles of his syrup to the barrel and rolled it around for a few days (there was just not enough time to go through an aging of the syrup).
28lbs 4.8ozs Pale 2-Row malt
2lbs 11.1ozs Flaked Wheat
2lbs 11.1ozs Flaked Oats
2lbs 8.9ozs Roasted Barley malt
1lb 4.5ozs Black Patent malt
1lb 4.5ozs Caramel/Crystal 60L malt
1lb 4.5ozs Chocolate malt
1lb 4.1ozs Corn Sugar
3.3ozs Magnum @60mins
10pkgs Safale English Ale yeast #S-04
My inspiration comes from one of the best beers I’ve ever had – Angels with a Filthy Soul from Bissell Brothers. I’ve only ever had 3 cans of this beer as it is crazy hard to get. Bissell Brothers age this beer in oak barrels they get from Nick at Cask Force who I know from Post Road Liquors. And before aging the beer the barrel is used to age the Cask Force maple syrup.
Up early that day so I could get a double batch brewed. Everything went great on brew day and I was done before 5:00pm.
http://maltwaterbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Bissell-Brothers-maple-angels.jpg6751200brewmasterhttp://maltwaterbrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Malt-Water-300x50.pngbrewmaster2018-02-20 10:10:092018-05-21 10:59:31Angels with a Dark Heart | Oak Aged Imperial Stout 13%